The results are in. El Celler de Can Roca in Spain has been anointed the world’s best new gastronomic destination, according to the much-anticipated annual list of the World’s 50 Best restaurants, just announced at an award ceremony in London. This marked the 13th year for the World's 50 Best Restaurants list, which is organized by William Reed Business Media and sponsored by S. Pellegrino and Acqua Panna.
Joan Roca’s culinary cathedral in Girona, Spain, held the title in 2013 and has traded the No. 1 spot with René Redzepi’s Noma (which fell to No. 3 in 2015) for the past four years. Massimo Bottura’s Osteria Francescana in Modena, Italy, was named second best.
Asia's top restaurant is Narisawa in Tokyo, Japan, coming in at No. 8, a jump of six places, and Gaggan in Bangkok, Thailand, which topped the Asia's 50 Best list released earlier this year, jumps seven place in the World's list to No. 10.
Below are the top 20 winners.
1. EL CELLER DE CAN ROCA, Girona, Spain
2. OSTERIA FRANCESCANA, Modena, Italy
3. NOMA, Copenhagen, Denmark
4. CENTRAL, Lima, Peru
5. ELEVEN MADISON PARK, New York, United States
6. MUGARITZ, San Sebastian, Spain
7. DINNER BY HESTON BLUMENTHAL, London, UK
8. NARISAWA, Tokyo, Japan
9. D.O.M., São Paulo, Brazil
10. GAGGAN, Bangkok, Thailand
11. MIRAZUR, Menton, France
12. L’ARPÈGE, Paris, France
13. ASADOR ETXEBARRI, Atxondo, Spain
14. ASTRID Y GASTÓN, Lima, Peru
15. STEIRERECK, Vienna, Austria
16. PUJOL, Mexico City, Mexico
17. ARZAK, San Sebastian, Spain
18. LE BERNARDIN, New York, United States
19. AZURMENDI, Larrabetzu, Spain
20. THE LEDBURY, London, UK