“Not in the mood today.” “I overslept.” “The dog ate my yoga pants!” When it’s time to get up early and hit the gym or studio, excuses can get more inventive than in school when you forgot the homework. With the sweltering heat, the thought of sweating it out for an hour is not the best incentive to make you jump out of bed first thing in the morning. But here are some funs ways to make working out this summer less of a chore.
- Early morning is the best time to work out. Usually, the energy level graph goes south in the second half of the day. This will also leave your evenings free for fun!
- Hitting the snooze button instead of waking up when the alarm goes off is something to which most people would say, “Guilty as charged!” Set your alarm on the other side of the room. When you get up to switch it off, chances are you’ll already be half awake. It’s less tempting to get back into bed then!
- Make things a little easier for the morning. Get your workout gear ready the night before. This way, you can grab a few extra minutes in bed.
- Find a workout partner. Exercising is always fun when you have company...and you can push each other to work out a little bit harder too.
- If you prefer to work out on your own, get a personal trainer. This way, you’ll reach your goals by matching them with your regimen.
- Set an achievable goal. Get yourself a stunning swimsuit and hang it up where you can see it, and think of the wows you’ll get when you hit the beach in it. There’re few things more motivating than seeing your target right in front of you.
- Make working out fun. Try something different like aerobics or Zumba, which you can enjoy in a group.
- Reward yourself. Treat yourself to some healthy snacks or maybe buy that dress which didn’t fit you earlier. You’ll definitely feel great wearing it!
- Trying a new type of workout can give you a buzz that your normal regime doesn’t. It will help you through the hot summer months.
- Prioritise your workout. Mark it in your daily schedule and treat it like an important meeting that you can’t afford to miss.
- Make friends with your bathroom scales. Instead of checking your weight every morning and evening, be realistic and do it once a week. This way, there’ll be fewer disappointments and more joy!
- Give in to the temptation of the summer months and enjoy an occasional break.
- Follow a healthy diet. Eat sensibly but allow yourself things you like once in a while.
- Have a backup plan. In case the weather is bad or your car refuses to start, you need not skip your workout.
- For a change, try some outdoor activities like cycling or jogging in the early morning.
- There’s no better mood-booster than foot-tapping music. Put on some of your favourite tracks (not the slow ones!) and go with King Julian – you like to move it, move it!
- It’s important that you get plenty of fresh air in the summer too. So if you prefer to work out indoors, then go for a walk in the evening.
- Maximise your workout. If you’re not keen on exercising for too long, then make them more intensive and focus on the areas that need special attention.
- Be determined. If you have been working out regularly and have a definite plan on the cards for the next few weeks, you can afford to miss a session here and there. But remember not to skip too often.
There is nothing worse than being stressed over your regular workout schedule when you’re desperately trying to avoid everything you enjoy. Let yourself go… and enjoy the summer months by making working out fun!