One should avoid using hair products with chemicals, because they can be harmful to your scalp and hair. Your hairstyle matters a lot to you, so when it comes to taking care of your hair it’s best not to go for any random product. Also, it’s important to opt for a treatment that’s based on natural products. When it comes to natural hair treatments, aromatherapy maybe the best option.
One of the major hair problems that people face is dandruff. First, it’s critical to know what dandruff is. The white flakes that you see on your shoulders are often due to improper rinsing of shampoo. That means the real dandruff is beneath your scalp; it’s a form of bacterial infection that takes some time to develop and is even present in the summers. This infection will take minimum of six months to one year of treatment for the dandruff to disappear. Using hot water for rinsing increases the amount of white scale, so use lukewarm water as much as possible.
Use a shampoo that contains a sulphate-free detergent base and is also free from paraben preservatives. More importantly, it should have natural active ingredients (as anti-dandruff formula), a soft baby shampoo base for extra dry and rough hair and scalp. And make sure you rinse properly, using lots of lukewarm water. If you don’t rinse the shampoo properly you will lose the glow and reflection of your hair. Applying oil to your hair is important in order to keep your hair in good physical shape. You will be able to see best results if the right technique is used and you choose the oil carefully. Coconut oil can be a good option, but more so in summers.
Aromatherapy, in a very friendly way, works on the skin pores. Here are some tips that can help get natural treatment:
- Applying oil is one of the best ways to improve hair strength and quality, as per ayurvedic principles. But you should know the right technique and the right time. Many people prefer applying oil in the morning, but it is not a great move. If you wish to get better quality hair, encourage hair growth, and prevent early grey hairs and split ends, it is healthier to apply oil at night and use warm water to rinse it the following morning.
- Oil should be on the scalp and not on the hair.
- Coconut oil can be a solution to many hair-related problems. It should follow a steam wrap for 15-20 minutes.
- Always use lukewarm water. Cold water in winter can harm your hair and it can lead to dry, dull, and breakable hair. Also, hot water takes away the natural oil (sebum) from the scalp, rendering your hair dry, duller, rough and unmanageable.
- The role of a conditioner in hair care cannot be ignored. All types of hair need conditioner. It protects hair from towel damage.
A proportionate diet provides the required vitamins, minerals and nutrients to maintain a strong and fit body and mind. Yes! It’s true that if you want good hair, you should have a healthy, well-balanced diet, too. Eggs are a high-quality source of protein, and they also have a number of vital vitamins and minerals and comparatively fewer calories, making it a nutrient-dense food. Eat egg whites for healthy hair to help you get rid of dandruff and dry hair. Eat sprouts thrice a week with salad. Make sure the salad does not contain salt or ketchup. A little bit of lemon and pudina chutney 1½ hours after salad will help a lot, too.
An early morning walk and exercise is good for vitamin D. For strong, thick hair, try to get as much vitamin D as you can.
- Dr. Naresh Arora, Aromatherapist,Cosmetologist and founder of Chase Aromatherapy Cosmetics