Turmeric is a common spice used in Asian food. It is known as the wonder spice because of its magical properties which benefit us in different ways. It is used as a medicinal herb from old times. Dry turmeric is rich in vitamin A, Thiamine (B1), Riboflavin (B2), vitamin C also contains a good amount of calcium, phosphorus, iron, sodium and potassium.
Recently, science has started doing research with clinical proven studies, saying it contains compounds known as "curcuminoids" used as a medicinal spice to treat different associated diseases and illness.
Anil Khandelwal, Health and Wellness Expert, YOGIC SECRETS shares science-backed benefits of turmeric:
- Turmeric has curcumin in it which is a natural anti-inflammatory that helps to fight against inflammation caused by any disease or illness.
- It boosts the antioxidant capacity of the body as it neutralizes free radicals on its own but also stimulates your body's own antioxidant enzymes.
- Curcumin in turmeric may improve cognitive function and also helps to protect brain functions by boosting the level of BDNF in the brain.
- Turmeric is a wonderful magical spice for joint health as it helps to treat symptoms of joint related problems and reduce inflammation.
- To check gastric problems: helps to relieve gas formation in stomach and indigestion discomforts.
- Very powerful to treat Bronchitis: Take 1 tsp of turmeric powder with warm water 3 times a day it will make phlegm melt.
- To give protection against Cancer: Add 2 tsp of turmeric powder in a cup of water stir & take it regularly twice a day. It has active compounds (curcumol and curdione), which have strong cytotoxic effects against certain forms of cancer.
- To relieve pain and itching of skin: Mix turmeric powder with the lime juice and little water to make a smooth paste. Put it directly on to herpes lesions, eczema, psoriasis, pimples, and even leprosy sores.
- To relieve sprains and internal injuries: With just 1 spoonful turmeric powder in 2 cups of milk simmer it & it cool drink it daily in morning and evening for best results. -IANSlife and Pics: Pexels- Ksenia Chernaya and Karolina Grabowska and Shantanu Pal