This summer, if you are looking for a fat-free snack to munch on, then watermelons will surely come to your rescue. Although most people believe that watermelon is full of just water and sugar, but the truth is it is loaded with a whole lot of benefits.
This juicy fruit belongs to a flowering plant family, Cucurbitaceae. These species have been originated in the Southern Africa. Watermelon consists of an antioxidant, lycopene, which is associated with healthy heart, and prevents cancer.
In this article, we give you a rundown of a few health benefits of watermelon-
1. Prevents cancer- The lycopene in water lowers the risk of cancer, by reducing the growth of a protein associated with cell division. The presence of cucurbitacin E prevents the growth of tumor.
2. Prevents Macular Degeneration- watermelon is known to prevent one of the common eye problems, Macular Degeneration. The Lycopene in this juicy fruit acts as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agent.
3. Reduces asthma attacks- If you’re one of those individuals, who is suffering from asthma then incorporate watermelon into your diet. Research suggests that Eating fruits and vegetables high in Vitamin C have shown to reduce asthma symptoms and frequent attacks.
4. Good for the nervous system- Watermelon contains potassium, which helps in a smooth passage of the electrical impulses and messages through the nervous system. On the other hand, lack of potassium disrupts the nervous system and leads to all kind of health issues.
5. Keeps skin glowing- Watermelon contains two essential vitamins, A and C, that are good for skin and hair. The collagen present in your body is made by Vitamin C. The collagen further gives a natural glow to your skin.
Pic Courtsey: pixabay.com