During summer we all crave for some refreshing cool desserts. A perfect way to end a summer meal is with an irresistible mouth watering dessert. Soft, creamy and velvety like a fragrant bouquet of roses, strawberries and rose petal ice cream is the perfect dessert to satisfy your cravings on a hot day. If you are craving for more then this berry fusion sandesh is flavoured with the goodness of summer berries should be a must try.
Strawberry and Rose Petal ice cream
• ½ cup dry rose petals
• 1 egg white
• 1 tbsp rose water
• 300g strawberries
• 1 split vanilla pod
• 150g castor sugar
• 300ml milk
• 300 ml heavy whipping cream
• 3 egg yolks
• In a pan, lightly beat the egg yolks and add sugar.
• Boil milk and split the vanilla pod in a pan. Leave it to infuse for half an hour
• Soak rose petals in the egg white and then in sugar, place them over a cake rack and leave it overnight to dry.
• Discard the vanilla pod and pour the vanilla milk into the egg mixture.
• Now take the egg mixture, put it in a sauce pan and gently heat by constantly stirring the mixture.
• Allow the mixture to cool and then chill.
• Liquidize strawberries to form a purée.
• Then take the whip cream, fold in the strawberry purée, rosewater, and then fold it into the cold custard.
• Churn it to an ice cream machine till it freezes.
• To finish it off, add rose petals and churn well and then freeze.
Berry Fusion Sandesh
• 100 g strawberries
• 2 litres milk
• 1 tbsp powdered sugar
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 100g raspberries, or any other seasonal berries
• Cut berries into fine pieces. Cook over slow fire till they turn to a smooth purée.
• Boil the milk in a heavy bottom pan.
• Remove from heat and add lemon juice till the milk curdles.
• Transfer the milk to a muslin cloth to drain out the whey.
• Divide the curd into two parts (1/3 and 2/3).
• Cook 2/3 of mixture till it becomes powdery and leave it aside to cool.
• Combine this mixture with the remaining 1/3 and mix thoroughly.
• If necessary add a tablespoon of fruit purée and powdered sugar.
• Mould it into any shape and press it into a tray
• Leave it to refrigerate for 30 minutes. Serve it chilled.
- Akhila Kakarala with inputs from http://www.femina.in