refined flour 2 ½ cups
baking soda 1 tsp
cocoa powder 1 tsp
granulated sugar 1 ½ cups
raw eggs 2
canola oil 1 ½ cups
vinegar 1 tsp
food colouring (red) 30 gm
vanilla essence 1 tsp
buttermilk 1 cup
For the cream cheese frosting:
margarine ½ cup
packaged cream cheese 225 gm
castor sugar 1 cup
vanilla essence ½ tsp
lightly toasted pecans 1 cup
1. For the cream cheese frosting, mix margarine and cream cheese and allow it to soften to room temperature.
2. Add sugar and beat until mixed, but not so much that the frosting becomes loose.
3. Now add vanilla essence and nuts and spread between layers and on top and sides of cake.
4. For the cake, preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) round layer cake pans.
Sift flour, baking soda, and cocoa together.
5. Beat sugar and eggs together in a large bowl.
6. In a separate bowl mix together oil, vinegar, food colouring, and vanilla essence. Now add it to the bowl of eggs and sugar, and beat until combined.
7. Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the wet mixture by alternating the buttermilk and dry ingredients. Always start and end with the flour.
8. Pour batter into pans. Tap them on the table to level out the batter and release air bubbles. Bake for 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted near the middle comes out clean, but be careful not to over bake or you’ll end up with a dry cake. Let the layers cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before turning out of pan. Cool completely before frosting.