After Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged people to visit at least 15 tourist destinations within India by 2022 and with the pandemic hindering the international travel plans, many Indians are widely opting to travel to unexplored destinations and have been quite experimental with their travelling choices. It's no exaggeration to say that practically every city and town in India carries on its own charm. We unveil a carefully-chosen list of destinations where it will be possible to enjoy the magic of travelling while still following strict health and sanitary rules.
1. Indians this summer have shown interest in travelling to previously unexplored destinations like Digha and North-East's less visited places like Gangtok, Shillong, Kalimpong and Lachung.
Havelock Island by VikramjitKakati for Wikimedia
2. In the quest to explore the unmapped destinations, travellers are not hesitating before spending on offbeat destinations in India. This includes the last remaining wilderness like Yumthang Valley or Kodaikanal, or locations like the Andaman and Nicobar Islands or the Munroe Island that have largely attracted the elite tourists.
3. Even corporate executives and professionals are now booking luxury chalets in Nainital or beach-houses on the coastal areas.
4. Sustainable tourism will be major consumer demand. Post the pandemic, an increasing number of tourists are conscious of travel's environmental impact and inquiring about steps they can take to mitigate it.
5. A majority of urban tourists want to learn how to leave little to no ecological footprint behind when they undertake a wildlife tour.
6. Women have been increasingly taking a solo or women-only trips. A growing number of national destinations also attract women because cottages and other stakeholders have made conscious efforts to make travelling more comfortable and safe for women. Solo female travel is now a major trend in India regardless of her marital status.
Indian Gharial on the banks of Chambal River at National Chambal Wildlife Sanctuary
7. Wildlife photography tours are gaining popularity. While African safaris have always been on high-end tourists' agenda, growing numbers of middle-level corporate executives are now combining wildlife safaris with guided photography tours in the country. Indians widely opt to travel to unexplored destinations like National Chambal Wildlife Sanctuary or Satpura National Park and have been quite experimental with their travelling choices.
8. Culinary tourism is a delight for food lovers who look forward to exotic food experiences. Along with an enriching travel experience, many travellers are opting to get a taste of the local culture and kitchen. The surge in food tourism has also led to an increase in the number of specialised tour operators taking care of the culinary tourism market.
9. While Italy, Thailand, and Japan have been hot destinations that offer the world of authentic culinary treats, Dharamsala, Alleppey, and Banaras are fast becoming the top destination and ranks first on culinary tourism in the country.
Since the Coronavirus pandemic pushed a large share of states to impose lockdowns, many have been forced to call off their plans for summer holidays.We bring a list of travel trends and offbeat destinations within the countrythat you must visit!