Kozhi Kurumolagu Fry is a delicious Kerala style pepper chicken made with juicy and tender chicken legs along with flavourful Indian spices. This is a perfect side dish served with rice. Thiyal is another tasty kerala dish prepared with fried coconut and aromatic spices, and it is served with rice. A chef from Taj Banjara has shared these two mouth-watering delicacies of Kerala.
Kozhi Kurumolagu Fry
Chicken legs (halved)
Egg (beaten with ¼ cup water)
For the marinade:
Curry leaves (chopped)
Black peppercorn (ground)
for deep frying
- Dry the chicken with paper towels.
- Mix the marinade ingredients into a paste and rub onto chicken pieces.
- Steam chicken for 5-8 minutes.
- Place the beaten egg mixture in a shallow bowl, and rice flour in another. Dip each piece of chicken into egg mixture, then coat with rice flour.
- Heat oil and deep-fry till crisp and golden.
- Serve hot.
Fresh coconut (grated)
Fresh ginger (grated)
Red chilli (halved)
Whole shallots (peeled)
- Dry-roast the coconut on medium heat, stirring continuously. When dark brown, add ginger and garlic. Continue stirring.
- Stir in eight of the red chillies, peppercorns and turmeric. Remove from heat immediately. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, grind with ½ cup water to make a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Fry shallots till soft and transparent.
- Add curry leaves and remaining red chillies. Stir and add the coconut paste. Continue cooking till oil rises to the top.
- Add tamarind paste, salt, and a cup of water. Cook till the mixture thickens.
- Garnish, and serve hot.