Mozzarella is from southern Italy, made from buffalo milk and it is generally white, but may vary to slight yellow depending on the animal's diet. It is a semi-soft cheese and due to high moisture content, it is served the day after it is made. In Italy, mozzarella is used for most types of pizza and pasta dishes, or served with sliced tomatoes and basil in a Caprese salad. Though this salad is not the healthiest, it is a great way to use leftover mozzarella after making home-made pizza.
- 3 tomatoes cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- 20-30 leaves of fresh basil
- 450g of Mozzarella cut into ¼ inch thick slices
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & crushed black pepper
- Arrange slices of tomato, mozzarella and basil leaves on a large, shallow platter.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the salad and season it with salt & crushed black pepper -Nitasha Silesh and Pic courtesy: Pixabay