Green chili paste
• Clean and wash the buckwheat in enough water only once. Washing it more will cause the starch to drain out.
• Drain the excess water using a strainer.
• Combine the buckwheat, curds and ½ cup of water in a deep bowl and mix well.
• Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for at least 4 to 5 hours.
• Add the green chili paste, ginger paste and salt and mix very well.
• Pour half the batter into a greased 175 mm. (7") diameter thali and spread evenly by rotating the thali clockwise.
• Steam in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked.
• Repeat steps 5 and 6 to make 1 more thali.
• Cool slightly, cut into pieces and serve immediately.
• At step 3, allow the mixture to soak for at least 4 hours in summer season.
• In winter season the soaking time should be increased to 5 hours and if needed to 6 hours depending on the temperature.
• This will ensure soft dhoklas as the end result.
- Alekhya Reddy
- Pic courtesy: pixabay.com