Rice, a staple food of the Indian cuisine, can perform wonders when it comes to your overall health. Rice comes in several colors, shapes and sizes, and the most popular ones are white rice and brown rice. White rice is the most commonly consumed type, according to numbers, but brown rice is widely recognized as the healthier option - hinting at the rising popularity of the variety.
Is there any difference between white rice and brown rice? Brown rice and white rice, both are excellent sources of starch. In spite of the same benefits of both the types of rice, brown rice is considered to be superior to white rice in certain ways. Let's take a look at the health benefits these two different types of rice varieties possess.
Brown Rice Vs White Rice
• Brown rice is a type of whole grain rice and is way more nutritious than white rice. Unlike white rice, the bran is retained and hence brown rice is a rich source of vitamins and minerals. The only stark difference that arises between white and brown rice is the way they are prepared before they hit the market.
• White rice is devoid of all its nutrients due to its innumerable process of milling. This milled rice is also polished before it heads to the market. Apart from removing the husk and bran, the essential nutrients are also stripped off in this process
The calorie content of the food is the second most important component which helps decide the benefits the food has on your human body. Brown rice generally contains slightly higher calories per serving than white rice. Brown rice also has more calories, more carbs, and more fat than white rice. Being a whole grain, consuming brown rice will not contribute to sudden weight gain.
When it comes to healthy fibre content, brown rice has a big advantage. Brown rice has more fibre and antioxidants, as well as has a lot more important vitamins and minerals.
• If you are just interested in filling your tummy from time to time without bothering about the increasing waistline, then white rice is for you. But, the amount of rice that you eat is directly proportional to your calorie intake; hence you have to keep a tab on the amount you consume. Therefore, exercising is mandatory to burn those extra calories that white rice gifts you.
• Brown rice is a heart-healthy food and also protects you against various diseases and ailments like cancer and diabetes. It is also enriched with anti-inflammatory properties. This type of rice is also beneficial for your weight loss journey, as it will not only assist in losing weight but will also help maintain a healthy weight.
There, it can be pointed out that brown rice is generally more nutritious than white rice. It's higher in fibre, magnesium, and other nutrients, and is not artificially enriched with nutrients like white rice is. However, either type of rice can be part of a healthy diet and there is nothing wrong with eating some white rice now and then.
- Alekhya Reddy
- Pic courtesy: pixabay.com