Mini Yule Log and Plum Pudding are two mouth-watering sweet dishes for Christmas. Mini Yule Log is a cake based dish with nougat and tasty ganache. Plum Pudding is a traditional dish for Christmas and it is prepared by soaking plum fruits in liquor, fondant icing and brandy infusion. A chef from Vivanta by Taj has shared these two recipes.
Mini Yule Log
- For the sponge, beat eggs and sugar together in a mixing bowl until it becomes fluffy.
- Add oil, water, cake gel, and vanilla essence and mix well. Now add flour and mix together until it becomes fluffy again.
- Put the mixture in a baking tray with greased butter paper and bake at 180°C for 10 minutes. Set aside for two hours, then slice the sponge flat in order to roll it like a Swiss roll.
- For nougat, prepare caramel by cooking sugar and adding a little water, without burning it, until it acquires a golden colour. Add cashew nuts and mix well. Shift the caramel to a slim mat or on a tray.
- Warm the cream, add melted chocolate and mix it to make ganache cream. Then fold the whipping cream into the ganache.
- For assembling, take the sliced fl at sponge and spread the ganache cream on it, then sprinkle the nougat on it.
- Roll up the cake using butter paper and cut a thick diagonal slice from one end of the cake. Transfer the larger piece of cake to a board or fl at serving plate.
- Re-apply ganache cream over it, cut the sides of the small piece of cake and fix it to the large roll to make a stump.
- Spread remaining ganache cream over the cake and apply neatly, then dust with cocoa powder. Decorate with Christmas ornaments.
- Mix cream, butter, and sugar until the sugar dissolves in the butter. Add eggs one by one and whisk the mixture until it becomes fluffy.
- Now add plum fruits, fl our, and spice powder and mix to make a smooth mixture. After mixing for three-four minutes, add caramel colour, liquid glucose and mix it well.
- Put the mixture in the greased butter paper laid mould and steam them for 45-50 minutes at 180°C in a double boiler. Check if it’s baked by piercing it with a toothpick slowly; if it comes out clean, it’s baked.
- For fondant icing, mix gelatine in water and keep aside. Now take icing sugar in a mixing bowl and add the gelatine mix. Mix sugar and gelatine mixture until it gets soft.
- For brandy infusion sauce, boil cream and milk together until it is reduced to half the quantity.
- Beat egg yolk and sugar on a double boiler until it becomes fluffy; then add the milk and cream mixture to it.
- Add vanilla essence, brandy and accordingly adjust the consistency of the sauce.
- After steaming the plum pudding, de-mould the pudding and ice it evenly. Slice the pudding, decorate it with Christmas ornaments and serve with hot brandy infusion.