Some know him as Captain Cool while some call him Thala. Some say he is the most successful captain ever, while some say he is a legend!
Well, by now you would have realised that this person is indeed cricketing legend MS Dhoni. Soon after his biopic, MS Dhoni: The Untold Story was released in 2016, not just cricket fans but even general people across the world fell in love with this simple Ranchi boy! The movie truly depicted the trials and tribulations in Mahi’s life resulting in increasing the love and respect his fans had for him even further.
Today, almost everybody knows what happened in MSD’s life and also how he became one of the most loved cricketers in the country. But even then, there are a few things that not many people know about MS Dhoni! Here are 7 such things which were not depicted in the MS Dhoni biopic and are not known to many people:
- Dhoni is a diehard fan of a particular game and does not leave an opportunity to watch it. And guess what, it is not cricket! Dhoni loves Wrestling, especially the WWE one. His favourite WWE stars are Bret ‘The Hitman” Hart and Hulk Hogan.
- In 2008, BCCI was looking for a permanent Test captain and hence approached Sachin Tendulkar. Having fielded next to Dhoni in the slips, Sachin had seen Rahul Dravid seek Dhoni’s advice at critical moments and most of the time the advice was absolutely brilliant. Also, Sachin had never seen Dhoni lose his cool even in tense situations especially while playing in front of a packed house! Hence Sachin recommended Dhoni’s name for captaincy and the rest is history!
- Besides Kapil Dev, MS Dhoni is the only other Indian to be promoted to Lieutenant Colonel in the Indian Territorial Army. He even walked in his Army uniform to collect his Padma Bhushan award in 2008 from the President of India. He is the 11th cricketer to be decorated with the Padma Bhushan.
- The biopic MS Dhoni: The Untold Story revealed that before cricket Dhoni wanted to become a football goalkeeper. But even before football, Dhoni had dabbled in Badminton! Football and Badminton’s loss was Cricket’s gain!
- When Dhoni started his career, he was often seen with long wavy hair. Guess what? These long wavy hairs were inspired by Bollywood hunk John Abraham who sported them in his early career! And coincidently, when both became successful in their respective fields, they both chopped off their long hair!
- Dhoni is also known for his love for bikes, just like John Abraham! His first bike was a Rajdoot, but today he has a wide collection ranging from Yamahas to Yezdis to BMWs to Harley Davidsons to Suzukis to Bullets. Infact, he has one entire floor dedicated to his bikes and is often known to service them himself!
- Dhoni also has a good ear for music. He is known to be an ardent fan of old Hindi film songs. His favourite singer is Kishore Kumar. Also, when it comes to food, Dhoni loves chicken the most. He also has a sweet tooth and hot chocolate fudge is his biggest weakness!
Winning three major titles, the ICC World Twenty-20 in 2007, ICC World Cup in 2011 and the ICC Champions Trophy in 2013, truly made MS Dhoni the most loved captain India has ever seen. But it was his cool demeanour in the face of extreme adversities that has won the hearts and minds of every Indian.
While there are rumours that he might hang up his boots this year or the next, it will be impossible for any cricket fan across the world to forget their beloved Thala ever in their lifetime!