Did you know sun is the ultimate source of life on this planet? It is one of most vital elements of nature. Since ancient times, we have been offering our prayers to the sun god. Scientific research also proved that this ultimate source of life has some amazing healing powers. Hence for this reason, in yoga, we offer prayer to the sun through a set of 12 postures. This practice is known as Surya Namaskar.
Surya Namaskar is nothing but a salute to the sun. The order in which the asanas should be performed was first recorded in the 20th century. Some of the common positions include pranamasana, Hastauttanasana, Hasta Padasana, AshwaSanchalanasana, Bhujangasana and Ashtanga Namaskara.
In this article, let us look at some of the health benefits of Surya Namaskar.
• Aids in better intake of nutrients from food.
• Improves cardiovascular health and enhances blood circulation throughout your body
• It is extremely beneficial for your skin, as it helps to keep your skin glowing due to proper blood circulation. Surya Namaskar also delays the signs of ageing.
• Those of you trying to lose weight must perform Surya Namaskar, as it is an excellent workout to shed weight. The various asanas performed helps in stimulating the digestive tract.
• While doing each of these asanas, it is also important to keep in mind the breathing pattern. Breathing helps in relaxing your mind and body.
• All the 12 asanas help in toning each and every muscle in your body and nerve centres referred to as chakras. Some of the body parts that undergo toning are legs, arms, thighs etc. This effective physical workout also strengthens the flexibility of your body.
Pic Courtsey: pixabay.com