firm white basa fillet 1
salt ¼ tsp
palm sugar 1-2 Tbsp
garlic (chopped) 2 Tbsp
fresh dry chilli (chopped) 2 Tbsp
fish sauce 2 Tbsp
water 3 Tbsp
makroot leaf as required
basil leaf as required
garlic (sliced and fried) as required
oil ½ cup
coriander to garnish
red and yellow pepper to garnish
basil leaf (fried) to garnish
1. Clean thoroughly and score the fish at an angle all the way, on both sides. Sprinkle salt on both sides.
2. Heat oil and fry the fish on a low-medium flame, until golden brown. Don’t loosen until done, to prevent it from breaking. Flip and fry other side. Set aside.
3. On medium heat a tablespoon of oil leftover from frying the fish. Add the chopped garlic and chilli. Stir-fry until done.
4. Add fish sauce, palm sugar and water. Stir well and bring to a boil. Adjust the water depending on the thickness of the sauce. Pour over the fish.
5. Garnish with red and yellow pepper, basil and garlic.
6. Serve hot.
firm raw mango 1
fresh coriander (chopped) 2 Tbsp
red and yellow pepper 1
carrots (julienned) 1
fresh basil 5-6 leaves
fresh mint 5-6 leaves
fresh red chilli (chopped) 1
For the dressing
soy sauce 2 Tbsp
fish sauce as required
salt to taste
1. Mix the dressing ingredients together. The dressing should be a balance of sweet, sour, spicy and salty. 2. Balance the flavours according to your palate. Peel and shred the mangoes.
3. Drizzle the dressing and toss. Do a taste-test and add salt, soy or fish sauce to taste.
4. Place on a serving platter and sprinkle with chilli flakes.
5. Garnish with basil, mint and cilantro. Serve fresh.