Godzilla, 61, can now officially call Japan “home,” as the kaiju has been granted citizenship of the country and is now an honorary resident of Shinjuku, Tokyo, and has been appointed the tourism ambassador for the district, following an official ceremony.
RocketNews reports his papers say the following:
- Name: Godzilla
- Address: Shinjuku-ku, Kabuki-cho, 1-19-1
- Date of birth: April 9, 1954 [the year of the release of the very first Godzilla film]
- Date of becoming a Shinjuku resident: April 9, 2015
- Reason for special residency: Promoting the entertainment of and watching over the Kabuki-cho neighborhood and drawing visitors from around the globe in the form of the Godzilla head built atop the Shinjuku Toho Building.
- Previous visits to Shinjuku Ward: 3 times; Godzilla (1984), Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah(1991), Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)
Godzilla was also honored with a giant version of his head, which is currently placed atop the offices of Toho, the Japanese film studio responsible for the original 1954 film. The studio has planned a reboot of its own, to be released in 2016, ahead of the American sequel to Gareth Edwards' 2014 “Godzilla”, which is planned for 2018.
..... Devashree Goenka