Kukumpuvvu Kesari Bobbatlu is a famous Indian sweet stuffed flat bread made with kesari and ghee. Bobbarlu Garelu with Coconut Chutney is a spicy appetizer made with black eyed peas and flavourful spices and it is served with a coconut based chutney. A chef from Novotel Hyderabad Convention Centre and HICC has shared these mouth-watering recipes.
Kukumpuvvu Kesari Bobbatlu
- For kesari, dry and roast the rawa using little ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel, keep aside and let it cool. In the same vessel boil water and add powdered cardamom and sugar.
- Add few strands of saffron to the boiling syrup. Now slowly whisk in the roasted semolina by gradually pouring at a slow pace to avoid lumps.
- Add rest of the ghee to the kesari and let it cool.
- For bobbattlu, knead dough using flour, milk, and ghee until it is soft. Then portion it to 50 gm each and let it rest for a while. Now, stuff the portioned dough with kesari and roll it into flat pancakes without tearing.
- Shallow fry on a hot griddle using ghee. Serve hot with melted ghee on the side. Makes 20 bobbatlu.
Bobbarlu Garelu with Coconut Chutney
Black eyed peas/cow peas
Chopped green chilli
For Coconut Chutney
Dry red chilli
one small pod
- In a mixing bowl add black eyed peas/cow peas (after soaking for three hours and made into paste), ginger, onion, chopped green chilli, curry leaves, chopped coriander, and salt to taste, and mix.
- Make a workable batter that can be shaped in a doughnut form, then slowly slide it in to hot oil. Fry until golden brown and serve hot with coconut chutney.
- For coconut chutney, make a smooth paste of grated coconut, roasted chana and green chilli using a food processor.
- Temper mustard seeds, red chilli, curry leaves, and mix it with coconut chutney. Serves 10.