Kashmiri Cuisine’s popular dish Nalli Rogan Josh is a flavorful spicy lamb curry with a rich red colour and oil floating on top, when served with roti or rice is an impressive dinner party dish. Kubani Shahi Tukda is a royal mughlai dessert made with apricots and topped with rabdi. Executive Chef from Westin Hyderabad Mindspace has shared these two mouth watering mughlai dishes.
Nalli Rogan Josh:
1) Heat oil in a pan, add shahi jeera to it, let it crackle. Add sliced onion, sauté till it’s golden brown, then add ginger-garlic paste, stir till cooked.
2) Add the lamb shank (nalli), Kashmiri chilly powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and garam masala powder. Cook till nalli is half done.
3) Add tomato puree, cook till the raw flavour of tomato is gone. Now add whisked curd, brown onion paste, hing water, dry ginger powder and fennel powder, cook over slow flame for 30 to 45 minutes. Garnish with rogan and ginger juliennes.
Kubani Shahi Tukda:
whole wheat bread (slices)
1) Soak the dried apricots overnight. Remove seeds from apricots, set aside. Set aside water they are soaked in for syrup.
2) Cut the bread slices in desired shape. Deep fry in ghee, adding kewra, cardamom and cloves.
3) Add sugar to the water set aside, in which the apricots were soaked overnight, over steady flame. (Set some apricots aside for garnish.) Add apricots and saffron to this, set aside.
4) Mix milk, saffron and cardamom powder. Pour the prepared syrup over the deep fried bread, then the milk solution. Bake in an oven for about 20 minutes.
Arrange the baked bread on a plate, add a layer of apricots cooked in syrup, then a layer of fried bread, top with rabri. Garnish with apricots, saffron, mint and sliced almonds.