Use an old tee instead of a towel to squeeze out extra water from your hair after washing it and try not to comb wet hair to set your curly hair.
Hair experts from Advanced Hair Studio list a few hair maintenance tips to get the curls right:
* Washing your hair regularly seems to be a good idea to keep it shining and clean, however people don't realise that it strips natural oils from hair and makes it dry. Wash hair only a couple of times in a week, using a good shampoo followed by a leave-on conditioner.
* After hair wash, it's best to let your hair dry naturally, without combing it. While this is a standard rule that should be followed by everyone, it's particularly important for women with curly hair because it avoids breakage and opens up the curls giving it a nice look. When it's not doable, use a wide toothed comb to take care of the tangles.
* While drying your curly hair, avoid rubbing and scrubbing with the towel, which would most definitely cause friction followed by fizzy hair. Using an old tee instead of towel is a great alternative to squeeze out extra water from your hair.
If you are in hurry and can't wait to dry your hair naturally, it's best to blow dry it, using your fingers to comb through it. Make sure you prep your hair with a good heat protectant spray.
* A good serum or leave-in conditioner is a great investment for curly hair. It is always advisable to scrunch your curly mane while applying any product on your wet hair. Let your hair absorb this, before adding another product. Also do not overload your hair with products as these tend to weigh your curls down, making them flat and greasy.
* It's a good idea to roll sections of your hair and pin them up under a hair cap while sleeping at night. By doing this, even if you move around in your sleep, your curls don't turn into a frizzy mess. It will retain its shine and look great when you open them next day.
* Getting the bounce and retaining your curls midweek is now easy. All you have to do is get an empty spray bottle and fill it with equal portions of water and a leave-in-conditioner. Spray it on your hair, scrunch and leave it to dry naturally. – IANS