Gingerbread Semifreddo is a finger-licking sweet dish made with eggs, dry fruits and meringue. Scrumptious Duck and Braised Red Cabbage is prepared with tender and juicy duck, red wine vinegar and aromatic spices. These two dishes are perfect for a Christmas dinner with family and friends. A chef from Park Hyatt has shared these two recipes.
For the semifreddo:-
For the nougat:-
For the compote:-
• Roast the almond in the oven at 140°C. Caramelise the sugar and add the roasted almonds. Let it set overnight.
• Whip the cream and keep it in the fridge. In two separate bowls, whip the egg whites and the egg yolks with honey.
• Mix the egg yolk, egg white and cream together and add crushed nougat. Now set it in a square mould for 12 hours at 18°C.
• Melt the chocolate and put it flat onto a butter-paper covered tray. Let it rest and then cut it into square plates of the same size as the semifreddo.
• Use some meringue to fix the roof plates.
• For the compote, soak the dry fruits in rum for 24 hours. Cut it into small pieces and cook it in rum and sugar until it softens. Serve the gingerbread semifreddo with the compote.
Duck and Braised Red Cabbage
Fresh thyme and rosemary
Mirepoix (onion, carrot, leek, celery)
For red cabbage:-
Red wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
1(2 or 3 kg)
• Wash and dry the duck and rub it in and out with coarse sea salt and ground pepper.
• Cut apple, orange and onion into cubes and season it with salt and pepper. Add thyme, rosemary, cinnamon and five spices. Fill the duck with the mix and close.
• Fill a braising pan with 1cm of water and the mirepoix and place the duck breast side up.
• Place it in a pre-heated oven at 140°C for 1 ½ hours. Increase the temperature to 220°C for another 30 minutes.
• Cover the duck with stock every 5 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes. Strain the stock and reduce to 1/3.
• For the red cabbage, peel onion and apple and dice them. Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage and make it a quarter. Now remove the middle part and slice it into fine strips.
• Heat up the butter and sweat the onions. Add the cut apples, cabbage, honey, vinegar, bay leaves and apple juice to it. Bring it to boil and simmer for 45 minutes.
• Once the cabbage softens, season it with salt and pepper.
• Now finely grate the peeled potato into the hot cabbage. Serve hot.