Ariana Grande Shares Moving Essay After Manchester Attack

terrorist-attack-ariana-grande

Ariana Grande has broken her silence and has announced that she will put on a benefit concert for those affected by the terror attack during her Manchester concert earlier this week that killed 22 people.

The 23-year-old singer took to Twitter to share a powerful message to her fans and victims of the terrorist attack.

"My heart, prayers, and deepest condolences are with the victims of the Manchester Attack and their loved ones. There is nothing I or anyone can do to take away the pain you are feeling or to make this better," she began. "However, I extend my hand and heart and everything I possibly can give to you and yours, should you want or need my help in any way. The only thing we can do now is choose how we let this affect us and how we live our lives from here on out."

She continued, "I am sorry for the pain and fear that you must be feeling and for the trauma that you, too, must be experiencing. We will never be able to understand why events like this take place because it is not in our nature, which is why we shouldn't recoil. We will not quit or operate in fear. We won't let this divide us. We won't let hate win."

"I don't want to go the rest of the year without being able to see and hold and uplift my fans, the same way they continue to uplift me. Our response to this violence must be to come closer together, to help each other, to love more, to sing louder and to live more kindly and generously than we did before," she said.

"I'll be returning to the incredibly brave city of Manchester to spend time with my fans and to have a benefit concert in honor of and to raise money for the victims and their families," Grande revealed. "I want to thank my fellow musicians and friends for reaching out to be a part of our expression of love for Manchester. I will have details to share with you as soon as everything is confirmed."

"From the day we started putting the Dangerous Woman Tour together, I said that this show, more than anything else, was intended to be a safe space for my fans. A place for them to escape, to celebrate, to heal, to feel safe and to be themselves. To meet their friends they've made online. To express themselves," she recalled, declaring, "This will not change that."

She continued, "When you look into the audience at my shows, you see a beautiful, diverse, pure, happy crowd. Thousands of people , incredibly different, all there for the same reason, music.”

"Music is something that everyone on Earth can share. Music is meant to heal us, to bring us together, to make us happy. So that is what it will continue to do for us," Grande promised her fans. "We will continue in honor of the ones we lost, their loved ones, my fans, and all affected by this tragedy. They will be on my mind and in my heart every day and I will think of them with everything I do for the rest of my life."

After posting her essay on Twitter, Grande shared a link for a JustGiving fundraiser to help raise money for the families of those killed or injured in the attack.  

Grande plans to resume her ‘Dangerous Woman’ tour in Paris on June 7.

-Devashree Goenka