During rainy season, one food that we all truly enjoy is corn. With buttawala selling this snack on the street we make sure to stop by and have one. This delicious grain is loaded with numerous health benefits.
Corn as it is popularly called as Bhutta in Hindi, Makkacholam in Tamil, Mokka Jonnalu in Telugu originated from Mexico and Central America. Apart from having immense health benefits, corn is used to make fabrics, plastics, chemical products and adhesives. Coming to the health benefits, corn is loaded with high fibre which provides relief from digestive problems.
Let us look at some of the health benefits of Corn
Top Five benefits:
1. Controls diabetes: Corn is an excellent grain for reducing the symptoms of diabetes. Corn consists of phenolic phytochemicals which further protects against hypertention. In diabetic patients, their blood pressure fluctuations will be reduced as the phytochemicals in corn regulate the release of insulin and the absorption in the body.
2. Good for eyes: Corn is known to promote better vision as it contains beta carotene, which in turn produced vitamin A. The macular degeneration is also reduced due to the presence of carotenoids.
3. Keeps the heart healthy: This tasty grain is high in omega 3 fatty acids, which further reduces the risk of various heart issues. Corn helps in removing harmful fatty acids and prevents from heart attacks.
4. Aids in Digestion: This delicious grain contains dietary fibre. It helps with constipation, irritable bowel syndrome and aids in digestion.
5. Eat during pregnancy: Sweet corn is one of those foods that are recommended during pregnancy, as they contain high levels of folic acid. It also contains essential vitamins like B1, B5 and C, these not only help the expecting mothers with digestion but also help in lactation and strengthen circulation.
pic courtsey: pixabay.com