Although wrinkles are a perfectly natural part of ageing, there are ways to delay their arrival and even avoid some of them entirely. You & I finds out more.
Ever wonder why wrinkles happen in the first place? As you begin to age, the natural elasticity of the skin starts to deplete, as does the natural moisture which gave your skin that soft, supple look. Sun exposure is the biggest culprit of ageing skin and since the face is the most exposed part of the body, it is this area that suffers the consequences the most.
However, we’ve dug out ten ways that can help you can extend those wonder years of smooth, glowing skin and not feel a day over 25!
1. Use sun protection. Always remember to wear sunscreen (SPF 30 or more) if you’re planning on spending time in the scorching sun. This is especially true in Hyderabad, where the summer heat, coupled with the dry weather, can cause dry skin and premature ageing. Also remember to wear sunglasses, which will protect your eyes and the sensitive area around them from being exposed to harmful UV rays.
2. Exercise regularly. It is a well-proven fact that regular exercise not only keeps you healthy, but can also help you sustain healthy skin. Exercise maintains elasticity and helps increase blood flow to your skin, giving it a healthy glow. It can also help reduce your stress levels.
3. Don’t smoke. If you haven’t found a good reason to stop smoking yet, maybe this is it. Smoking roughens your skin, and the chemicals in cigarettes cause the body to dehydrate in more ways than one. It has also been proven that the constant puckering of the mouth while smoking can interfere with the blood supply in that area, which only aggravates wrinkling. In fact, that’s the same reason wrinkle-worriers are advised to stay away from straws!
4. Eat healthy. A healthy diet of fruits and vegetables full of vitamins and nutrients will help you sustain healthy skin and keep the wrinkles at bay. You could also consider taking a daily multi-vitamin with antioxidants.
5. Be wise – Moisturise. Moisturising the skin regularly can hide smaller wrinkles. Applying moisturiser after a warm shower is particularly beneficial. Basically, it’s best to moisturise your face after each cleansing for soft, wrinkle-free skin.
6. Sleep pretty. Having too many late nights at work or partying can drastically affect your appearance in the long run. Be sure to get adequate sleep. Do you sleep on your stomach and see facial creases when you wake up in the morning? Well, those could become permanent if you regularly subject your skin to pressure. To avoid sleep wrinkles, sleep on your back and keep pillows away from your face.
7. Hydrate. If you want to keep wrinkles at bay, water is perhaps your best friend. Drink a lot of water to keep your skin well-hydrated. You can also use hydrating face masks and body washes for the same purpose. Products containing oatmeal are especially beneficial in getting rid of dry skin. Washing your face is helpful but don’t wash too often, since this will sap the natural oils from your skin, making it scratchy and more vulnerable to wrinkles.
8. Keep your weight constant. Sudden and drastic weight loss can affect your skin as well. Weight fluctuations of more than 15 pounds will cause your skin to lose its elasticity and will result in premature wrinkling. Follow a healthy diet and exercise regularly to lose weight at a pace your body can get accustomed to.
9. Remove all your makeup. If you wear facial makeup during the day such as foundation, concealer, eye-shadow, blush, etc, remember to completely clean your face before bedtime. Clogged pores can lead to older looking skin. One wash is not enough. After removing the makeup, wash your face twice with a gentle cleanser. Gently blot dry with a towel and don’t forget to apply a rich moisturiser.
10. Eat tomatoes! As crazy as it sounds, eating tomatoes actually counteracts the effects of ageing, including wrinkles! This is especially true of cooked tomatoes, which contain the antioxidant lycopene that can neutralise the harmful molecules produced in skin exposed to the sun's ultra-violet rays.
Another terrific way to steer clear of wrinkles is to stay happy! Although the link between stress and wrinkles is still unclear, research suggests that if you mimimise loneliness, anxiety and depression, you’ll not only feel much better, but it will show on your face as well! - Uttarika